Senior Product Owner
We are seeking a Senior Product Owner with at least 5 years of experience to help us fulfill our mission of helping people achieve education and workplace success.
The Product Owner is the primary member of the Agile team responsible for defining users stories, establishing and prioritizing the scrum team backlog to ensure the streamlined execution of business and customer priorities. The Product Owner has the primary responsibility of working directly with business, operational, and technology stakeholders to ensure that their needs and priorities are clearly defined and translated for the team into consumable work. The Product Owner also has a significant role in deliverable quality as they are the team member who is ultimately empowered to accept work as done.
What you will be working on:
- Work directly with business stakeholders (including Product Managers) to understand business needs and translate and negotiate priorities into a consumable Agile backlog
- Communicate needs of the business stakeholders directly to scrum team members to ensure understanding scope of work and business priorities (usually as part of establishing, maintaining, and owning the team backlog)
- Represents the technical teams in Feature Backlog Prioritization
- Negotiates execution timing, sizing, and resourcing with technical teams
- Prioritizes production defect work (as the team backlog owner)
- Develop and communicate program vision and roadmaps to business stakeholders, scrum teams, and other interested stakeholders
- Primary individual responsible for prioritizing and accepting the final iteration plan
- Learns and maintains product capability knowledge to help inform business partners
- Provides Feature grooming guidance to business partners
- Evaluates the business partner features to ensure adherence to organizationally established readiness to work
- Responsible for accepting work (user stories) as being complete and notification of work completion to the stakeholders
- Ensure quality of team backlog in organizational tools (such as Jira)
- Work directly with DevOps and technical leadership to determine when enough value has been accrued to warrant a release to the customer
- Develop and maintain strong and effective relationships with the Program Managers and Scrum Teams
- Provide guidance in defining and developing Epics Features and User Stories while ensuring integrity across products
- Work directly with engaged third parties (such as vendors and partners) to develop and communicate scope and monitor quality delivery
This could be the job for you if you have (minimum requirements):
- Ability to facilitate collaboration and agreement on prioritization of work
- Ability to facilitate critical discussions and lead events with stakeholders at various levels across organization
- Ability to demonstrate exceptional problem solving skills
- Ability to demonstrate high quality collaboration and working relationship skills
- Ability to consistently demonstrate accountability and ownership
- Ability to effectively engage organizational escalation
- Ability to prioritize work and manage ambiguity through problem identification and resolution
- Ability to indirectly lead other team members effectively through ambiguity and change
- Ability to understand and evaluate technological and process complexities and act on the information as required
- Ability to communicate effectively with others across the organization including effectively translating business needs into solutions
- Ability to build collaborative relationships by incorporating expectations of customers in delivering required results and share information about how trends may influence products, services, and customer needs
- Experience with Agile methodologies required; with Scrum and SAFe methodology
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area, preferably in business or a computer technology field or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired
- Minimum of 5 years of experience, including significant experience as a Product Owner and/or Business Analyst working on medium to large, complex efforts or related work required that includes:
- working with business stakeholders to prioritize work (backlogs)
- developing, documenting, or managing requirements
- implementing complex technology solutions
It’s a plus if you have:
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in backlog grooming and prioritization
- Minimum of 2 years of experience interfacing with quality assurance or test teams
Your Work Makes a Difference
ACT team members are part of an organization dedicated to an important mission: Helping people achieve education and workplace success.
Everything we do contributes to this mission, including team member events, professional development resources, community outreach opportunities and solid benefit offerings. Helping team members achieve education and workplace success of their own advances the ACT mission on a daily basis.
You will be joining a well-established ACT business unit and be part of an exciting, hardworking team working from Iowa City.
When ACT was founded in 1959, it disrupted the assessment industry with a new approach to helping students better understand their readiness so they could take steps to improve it. By leveraging our expertise and authority in assessment and research, we will again disrupt the industry—helping more people learn, better measure their progress, and improve their navigation through life’s transitions.
More than ever before, ACT is fulfilling its mission of helping people achieve education and workplace success. We’re doing it by pushing the boundaries of learning innovation through the work of our people, who we call team members because we’re all in this together.
We know transformation does not come without challenge. That’s why ACT invests in a variety of experiences for team members to strengthen their connections, explore ideas, learn from customers, and celebrate success.
Learn more about working at ACT at act.org!